Cameron Becomes New JNF Patron
New Tory leader David Cameron has agreed to become a patron of JNF UK, the charity announced this week.
In response to a letter inviting him to become an honorary patron, the 39-year-old, who replaced Michael Howard last December, wrote: “I am delighted to accept."
- Miliband: I've No Tolerance with Boycotts
- David Ward Faces Fresh Lib Dem Action Over JN Comments
- Threatened and harassed
Speaking to a record audience of 500, including half the parliamentary party on Monday, the politician said he refused to succumb to pessimism over the challenges faced by the Jewish state. “Israel has succeeded despite – and in some respects because of – the momentous challenges it has faced in the six short decades since it was founded.”
The Conservative chief – who said he strongly believed in the path pursued by Ariel Sharon in recent years – also proclaimed himself a friend of Israel because she “is a friend of democracy, of education and of entrepreneurship – all values which I as a Conservative hold dear.”
Turning to the Hamas victory in last week’s Palestinian election, Cameron insisted: “We should have no illusions about the kind of organisation Hamas is, but the results also provide Hamas with an historic opportunity.” He also condemned recent comments by the Iranian President denying the Holocaust and calling for Israel to be wiped off the map, saying: “This talk is evil”.
Describing the lunch as “an enormous success”, CFI’s Victoria Kluk said: “David Cameron expressed his and the Conservative Party’s unwavering support for Israel and called on Hamas to recognize Israel’s right to exist, and renounce terrorism.”
- Archbishop Exclusive: 'My Cousin The Rabbi' - 21/03/13
- Opinion: As Charedim, We Must Take Responsibility For Ourselves - 18/03/13
- Opinion: The Joy And Tears Of Marrying 'In' To The Jewish Community - 18/03/13
- Opinion: Shared Parenting - One Size Definitely Does Not Fit All - 18/03/13
- Opinion: At Pesach, Let Us Remember Our Obligation To Others - 18/03/13
- Opinion: Hamas Scurrying From Peace Like Cockroaches From Light - 18/03/13
- We Team Up With Tzedek To Help Fight Poverty - 14/03/13
- Blair speaks of Israel friendship as he opens new Mill Hill shul centre - 14/03/13
- Miliband: 'My Debt To Israel' - 14/03/13
- Coalition Marks 'Direction Change' for Israeli Politics - 14/03/13
- 'This Place Is A Life-Saver' London's Only Kosher Soup Kitchen - 08/03/13
- Another Shabbat On The Streets - 08/03/13
- Opinion: Was The ZF Right To Reject Yachad? ... NO - 07/03/13
- Opinion: Was The ZF Right To Reject Yachad? ... YES - 07/03/13