Janner Recalls Nuremberg Trials
As ceremonies were held this week to mark the 60th anniversary of the Nuremberg trails, a British peer who was present at the hearings said the world had still not learnt its lesson.
Recalling the experience, Lord Janner, who was an 18-year-old official with the War Crimes Group, told TJ: “I sat listening in the courtroom, wondering how human beings could commit such hideous offences.
- Miliband: I've No Tolerance with Boycotts
- David Ward Faces Fresh Lib Dem Action Over JN Comments
- Threatened and harassed
“But Roosevelt and later Truman argued passionately in favour of public trials, so that the world would hear of the crimes that these people committed. Stalin and De Gaulle agreed and Churchill eventually backed down. So Nuremberg became a crucial reality.”
The Nazis received honest and fair trials. Proof: that three of the defendants were aquitted. The rest were imprisoned or hanged.”
But he maintained the world had not learnt enough from its example, saying: “From the former Yugoslavia to Rwanda, from Sierra Leone to Darfur, mass murders have continued.
“We must remember the evil past, both to recognise it in the present and to strive to prevent it in the future.”
- Archbishop Exclusive: 'My Cousin The Rabbi' - 21/03/13
- Opinion: As Charedim, We Must Take Responsibility For Ourselves - 18/03/13
- Opinion: The Joy And Tears Of Marrying 'In' To The Jewish Community - 18/03/13
- Opinion: Shared Parenting - One Size Definitely Does Not Fit All - 18/03/13
- Opinion: At Pesach, Let Us Remember Our Obligation To Others - 18/03/13
- Opinion: Hamas Scurrying From Peace Like Cockroaches From Light - 18/03/13
- We Team Up With Tzedek To Help Fight Poverty - 14/03/13
- Blair speaks of Israel friendship as he opens new Mill Hill shul centre - 14/03/13
- Miliband: 'My Debt To Israel' - 14/03/13
- Coalition Marks 'Direction Change' for Israeli Politics - 14/03/13
- 'This Place Is A Life-Saver' London's Only Kosher Soup Kitchen - 08/03/13
- Another Shabbat On The Streets - 08/03/13
- Opinion: Was The ZF Right To Reject Yachad? ... NO - 07/03/13
- Opinion: Was The ZF Right To Reject Yachad? ... YES - 07/03/13