007 Composer Releases Greatest Hits
He’s suave, he’s smooth, he’s dangerous, he’s sexy – and he’s back. James Bond has returned, but we’re not talking about new 007 Daniel Craig.
No, we’re talking about the famous 007 theme tune, which was released this week in its original form on a new CD, thanks to its Jewish composer
- Miliband: I've No Tolerance with Boycotts
- David Ward Faces Fresh Lib Dem Action Over JN Comments
- Threatened and harassed
The new album, called Completing the Cycle, features 18 tracks by the veteran composer, including the original composition on which he later based the familiar 007 song, which hasn’t been heard for more than 40 years.
The St John’s Wood Liberal Synagogue member told the Jewish News: “Cubby Broccoli, who had just bought the rights to produce Ian Fleming’s novels with his partner, Harry Saltzman, approached me and asked if I would like to write the music for Dr No.”
In trying to find a tune that summed up the superspy’s personality, Monty remembered a song he had written years before for a musical set in Trinidad, and developed it from there. The tune, called Bad Sign, Good Sign, is played with traditional Indian instruments on the CD. The 77-year-old added: “It was just what I was looking for, it summed up the style, the mood, the ambiance and character of James Bond.”
Also featured on the album is Underneath The Mango Tree, the song playing as Ursula Andress emerges from the sea in Dr No. The Maida Vale resident said: “The scene has taken its place as one of the great moments in cinema history and I am proud to be a part of it.
Completing the Cycle is available from record shops, priced £12.99. You can win the album for free. We have 10 copies to give away. To stand a chance of winning, simply answer the following question.
Who starred in Dr No?
a) Pierce Brosnan
b) Roger Moore
c) Sean Connery
Send your answers on a postcard to Bond competition, The Jewish News, PO Box34296, London NW5 1YW. Closing date, 1 December
- Archbishop Exclusive: 'My Cousin The Rabbi' - 21/03/13
- Opinion: As Charedim, We Must Take Responsibility For Ourselves - 18/03/13
- Opinion: The Joy And Tears Of Marrying 'In' To The Jewish Community - 18/03/13
- Opinion: Shared Parenting - One Size Definitely Does Not Fit All - 18/03/13
- Opinion: At Pesach, Let Us Remember Our Obligation To Others - 18/03/13
- Opinion: Hamas Scurrying From Peace Like Cockroaches From Light - 18/03/13
- We Team Up With Tzedek To Help Fight Poverty - 14/03/13
- Blair speaks of Israel friendship as he opens new Mill Hill shul centre - 14/03/13
- Miliband: 'My Debt To Israel' - 14/03/13
- Coalition Marks 'Direction Change' for Israeli Politics - 14/03/13
- 'This Place Is A Life-Saver' London's Only Kosher Soup Kitchen - 08/03/13
- Another Shabbat On The Streets - 08/03/13
- Opinion: Was The ZF Right To Reject Yachad? ... NO - 07/03/13
- Opinion: Was The ZF Right To Reject Yachad? ... YES - 07/03/13