Cameron Urged to Consider New Iran Sanctions
David Cameron was urged to consider "specific extensions" to sanctions against Iran during a meeting with community leaders.
Issues as diverse as the Middle East peace process, anti-Semitism and education policy were on the agenda at the Downing Street meeting, which was organised by the Jewish Leadership Council and saw the prime minister reaffirm the need to fight boycotts and delegitimisation of Israel.
- Miliband: I've No Tolerance with Boycotts
- David Ward Faces Fresh Lib Dem Action Over JN Comments
- Threatened and harassed
They also thanked the premier for the Governmentís "robust" stance on Iranís nuclear programme, while urging him to consider further sanctions - believed to relate to IranAir. Amid continuing questions over the issue of funding for long-term elderly care, the delegation urged a swift resolution.
The JLC's chair of trustees Mick Davis - who headed the delegation with Board of Deputies President Vivian Wireman - said: "The Prime Minister understood our concerns and was responsive to them. We stressed the need for the UK to help to support negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians by acting in a fair, balanced and even-handed manner."
Opening the meeting, Cameron again welcomed the "enormous" contribution of Anglo-Jewry in areas including the Big Society, business and politics. And he said: "The Jewish community has been a model for others to follow in terms of successful integration into the UK."
- Archbishop Exclusive: 'My Cousin The Rabbi' - 21/03/13
- Opinion: As Charedim, We Must Take Responsibility For Ourselves - 18/03/13
- Opinion: The Joy And Tears Of Marrying 'In' To The Jewish Community - 18/03/13
- Opinion: Shared Parenting - One Size Definitely Does Not Fit All - 18/03/13
- Opinion: At Pesach, Let Us Remember Our Obligation To Others - 18/03/13
- Opinion: Hamas Scurrying From Peace Like Cockroaches From Light - 18/03/13
- We Team Up With Tzedek To Help Fight Poverty - 14/03/13
- Blair speaks of Israel friendship as he opens new Mill Hill shul centre - 14/03/13
- Miliband: 'My Debt To Israel' - 14/03/13
- Coalition Marks 'Direction Change' for Israeli Politics - 14/03/13
- 'This Place Is A Life-Saver' London's Only Kosher Soup Kitchen - 08/03/13
- Another Shabbat On The Streets - 08/03/13
- Opinion: Was The ZF Right To Reject Yachad? ... NO - 07/03/13
- Opinion: Was The ZF Right To Reject Yachad? ... YES - 07/03/13