Mirvis now last rabbi standing in chief search
The minister of Finchley United Synagogue is the only candidate currently in the race to succeed Lord Sacks as Chief Rabbi, writes Justin Cohen.
Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis, the former Chief Rabbi of Ireland who has served the Kinloss community for 16 years, was considered to be among the leading UK contenders from the start of the selection process more than a year ago.
- Miliband: I've No Tolerance with Boycotts
- David Ward Faces Fresh Lib Dem Action Over JN Comments
- Threatened and harassed
Writing on his blog this week, Mill Hill Unitedís Rabbi Yitzchak Schochet claimed: "Rumour has it that all candidates bar one have been eliminated. The one remaining candidate is someone who has the respect of the collective rabbinate, has previous experience as a Chief Rabbi and is spoken of highly by the wider US membership. The only problem is that the selection committee is deeply split." While "there is strong consensus in his favour", Rabbi Schochet added that, "there is at least one vociferous voice on the committee who has his own idea about how he sees the future of the US and what sort of man he would like to see at its spiritual helm". The Jewish News understands the committee is still actively looking at other potential candidates.
Shimon Cohen, spokesman for the US, said this week had seen "a constructive meeting that reflected the importance of the decision. The committee will proceed to work through further stages of the process before making a recommendation to the Consulting Group. They propose to meet again shortly."
- Archbishop Exclusive: 'My Cousin The Rabbi' - 21/03/13
- Opinion: As Charedim, We Must Take Responsibility For Ourselves - 18/03/13
- Opinion: The Joy And Tears Of Marrying 'In' To The Jewish Community - 18/03/13
- Opinion: Shared Parenting - One Size Definitely Does Not Fit All - 18/03/13
- Opinion: At Pesach, Let Us Remember Our Obligation To Others - 18/03/13
- Opinion: Hamas Scurrying From Peace Like Cockroaches From Light - 18/03/13
- We Team Up With Tzedek To Help Fight Poverty - 14/03/13
- Blair speaks of Israel friendship as he opens new Mill Hill shul centre - 14/03/13
- Miliband: 'My Debt To Israel' - 14/03/13
- Coalition Marks 'Direction Change' for Israeli Politics - 14/03/13
- 'This Place Is A Life-Saver' London's Only Kosher Soup Kitchen - 08/03/13
- Another Shabbat On The Streets - 08/03/13
- Opinion: Was The ZF Right To Reject Yachad? ... NO - 07/03/13
- Opinion: Was The ZF Right To Reject Yachad? ... YES - 07/03/13