Jewish Couple Among Superstorm Dead
American Jewish groups are pooling resources to create a relief fund for people affected by Hurricane Sandy.
The main umbrella group for Jewish communities, the Jewish Federation of North America, will raise the money for recovery and reconstruction efforts.
- Miliband: I've No Tolerance with Boycotts
- David Ward Faces Fresh Lib Dem Action Over JN Comments
- Threatened and harassed
Among the dead were Jacob Vogelman and Jessie Streich-Kest, a young Jewish couple, who were killed by a falling tree in Brooklyn.
JFNA President Jerry Silverman said in a statement: "We send our support and prayers to those affected by the hurricane, and stand beside them during the recovery and rebuilding."
The Union of Reform Judaism also started a relief effort to help communities struck by the devastating storm, with URJ chairman Steve Sacks saying: "This storm will require a long-term, coordinated recovery effort."
The news came as the Jewish community on the east coast slowly began opening its doors once again. The Jewish Cultural Centre in Manhattan and the UJIA Federation of New York reopened on Wednesday after the closure of schools and businesses across the city. Jewish organisations in Long Island however remained closed due to power outages.
Earlier, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg had led evacuation efforts, leaving the financial capital largely shut down.
On Wednesday, US President Barack Obama surveyed the city's wreckage and described the disaster as "heart-breaking."
The Republican Governor of New Jersey, Chris Christie, was among those praising the president for his handling of the crisis so far, calling it "outstanding."
- Archbishop Exclusive: 'My Cousin The Rabbi' - 21/03/13
- Opinion: As Charedim, We Must Take Responsibility For Ourselves - 18/03/13
- Opinion: The Joy And Tears Of Marrying 'In' To The Jewish Community - 18/03/13
- Opinion: Shared Parenting - One Size Definitely Does Not Fit All - 18/03/13
- Opinion: At Pesach, Let Us Remember Our Obligation To Others - 18/03/13
- Opinion: Hamas Scurrying From Peace Like Cockroaches From Light - 18/03/13
- We Team Up With Tzedek To Help Fight Poverty - 14/03/13
- Blair speaks of Israel friendship as he opens new Mill Hill shul centre - 14/03/13
- Miliband: 'My Debt To Israel' - 14/03/13
- Coalition Marks 'Direction Change' for Israeli Politics - 14/03/13
- 'This Place Is A Life-Saver' London's Only Kosher Soup Kitchen - 08/03/13
- Another Shabbat On The Streets - 08/03/13
- Opinion: Was The ZF Right To Reject Yachad? ... NO - 07/03/13
- Opinion: Was The ZF Right To Reject Yachad? ... YES - 07/03/13