Strictly Kosher Dancing!
Strictly Come Dancing's newest star revealed yesterday that she won¹t be fasting on Yom Kippur, writes Chloe Markowicz, as she needs all the energy she can get to train for the competition.
Katya Virshilas whose family moved from Lithuania to Israel when she was aged six spoke to TJ yesterday about her heritage and her hopes of waltzing to victory in this yearšs series of the hit show with her dance partner, cricket legend Phil Tufnell.
- Miliband: I've No Tolerance with Boycotts
- David Ward Faces Fresh Lib Dem Action Over JN Comments
- Threatened and harassed
Israeli passport, said: "I got into film, commercials and modelling in
Israel. I participated in an Israeli talent search competition and it
propelled my career to where I am now"
Virshilas describes her childhood in the country as "amazing", adding: "Israelis are cool, interesting, and distinguished people." As for her Jewish background, she said: "I am proud of my heritage and where
I come from."
So what of the High Holy Days? Well, when she lived in Israel she fasted for
Yom Kippur and celebrated Pesach and Chanukah, but on this Day of Atonement,
she said she'll have to eat. "I canšt fast this year," she told TJ, "as I need all my energy for the dance training."
Virshilas did have a Rosh Hashanah celebration though while she was filming.
"My cousin came from Israel to surprise me for my birthday," she explained. "We didn't have a traditional dinner, but after the show on Saturday night we had a l'chaim and wished each other Shana Tovaš in the BBC bar."
The ballroom star believes she and Tufnell, who she called "fun" can do
well in the competition. "I think we'll be one of the more entertaining
couples so we have a chance to win," she said. "It does depend on the
audience and if they like us."
- Archbishop Exclusive: 'My Cousin The Rabbi' - 21/03/13
- Opinion: As Charedim, We Must Take Responsibility For Ourselves - 18/03/13
- Opinion: The Joy And Tears Of Marrying 'In' To The Jewish Community - 18/03/13
- Opinion: Shared Parenting - One Size Definitely Does Not Fit All - 18/03/13
- Opinion: At Pesach, Let Us Remember Our Obligation To Others - 18/03/13
- Opinion: Hamas Scurrying From Peace Like Cockroaches From Light - 18/03/13
- We Team Up With Tzedek To Help Fight Poverty - 14/03/13
- Blair speaks of Israel friendship as he opens new Mill Hill shul centre - 14/03/13
- Miliband: 'My Debt To Israel' - 14/03/13
- Coalition Marks 'Direction Change' for Israeli Politics - 14/03/13
- 'This Place Is A Life-Saver' London's Only Kosher Soup Kitchen - 08/03/13
- Another Shabbat On The Streets - 08/03/13
- Opinion: Was The ZF Right To Reject Yachad? ... NO - 07/03/13
- Opinion: Was The ZF Right To Reject Yachad? ... YES - 07/03/13