Support WJR's Haiti Emergency Appeal
A devastating earthquake, measuring 7.0 on the Richter scale, struck Haiti on 12th January 2010. The epicentre was just 16km from Port-au-Prince, the capital, where over two million people live, squeezed into flimsy shanty towns that offered little or no protection from the shocks.
An earthquake of such magnitude striking a country so deeply mired in poverty has resulted in true human catastrophe. As of 14th January the death toll remained unknown, although it is feared that thousands have been killed and many more injured. The Red Cross has estimated that 3 million individuals (30% of the population) may require some form of emergency assistance. Damage to buildings is widespread, ranging from the Presidential Palace to shacks in the shanty areas around the city. The lack of social services and employment opportunities in a country with a crumbling infrastructure only heighten the scale of the devastation.
- Miliband: I've No Tolerance with Boycotts
- David Ward Faces Fresh Lib Dem Action Over JN Comments
- Threatened and harassed
Paul Anticoni, WJR's Chief Executive, said,
"While it is too early to speculate on the scale of loss of life, we know that it is buildings that kill people, not earthquakes and early reports from Port-au-Prince indicate major building collapse. It seems inevitable that there will be massive unmet humanitarian need. Life is already extremely tough for many in Haiti and this disaster will seriously compound the situation. As part of our Jewish imperative of Tikkun Olam, we are once again calling on our generous community to help us show we care for the victims of such indiscriminative disasters."
To support WJR's Haiti emergency appeal, please telephone
020 8736 1250 or donate online here
- Communal charity mergers are 'not financially driven' - 03/05/12
- Simcha Expo resounding success - 07/11/11
- Making the Grade - 04/03/10
- Keeping the Faith - 11/02/10
- Chief Rabbi's Prayer For Haiti Victims - 21/01/10
- Edgware Jewish Primary School Stays Open After Parents Shovel Snow - 14/01/10
- Buy tickets for Valentines Event!!! - 08/01/10
- Send Us Your Snow Pics - 06/01/10
- Putting The Fun Into Chanukah - 10/12/09
- The Magic Of Mitzvah Day - 19/11/09
- Community Mourns Former Board President Israel Finestein - 15/10/09
- The Word On The Skeet - 03/09/09
- Jewish News Snowman Competition - 02/02/09
- Emma Has The J-Factor! - 18/12/08